[Gllug] Sun keyboard/mouse pair

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 21:04:46 UTC 2003

Tethys wrote:

> Matthew King writes:
>
> >Does anyone have one of these babies I can beg, steal or buy?
> >
> >Work has cleverly got themselves a SparcStation 4 without the generally
> >rather useful input devices.
>
> No input devices needed. Just plug a null modem cable into the serial
> port, fire up minicom on the other end and away you go...

Plus if you use a keyboard and mouse on an old Sun you will also need
either a Sun monitor or one of those special cables to connect a PC one.
The Sun selects its console based on whether the keyboard is present and
if it is the monitor has to be too.

I find the null modem cable and minicom on the Linux desktop the best
way to run my Suns - with the result that I do have a Sun keyboard and
mouse sitting around Idle. Type 5 IIRC - came with an Ultra2. Matthew,
if we havn't managed to persuade you that connecting a keyboard to such
a machine (surely you aren't going to use it as a workstation) is a bad
idea, you can have it for free if you can collect it from the Epsom
area. Email me off list.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk