[Gllug] Suse OpenExchange Server

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Thu Oct 23 09:08:55 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/openexchange/
>
> Anyone know what this is?  They list the components as: Suse, Postfix,
> Cyrus, Apache, OpenLDAP, Samba, but they don't mention what they are
> using for the outlook calendary stuff.
Time for me to be trotted out again :-)

A couple of years ago at Framestore I was looking for a replacement for
an ageing iPlanet based mailserver.

We settled on the SuSE Email server - now renamed to OpenExchange.

As it says on the tin, it is an integration of open components, like LDAP
and Postfix.
It has the following features/advantages:
a) it is a full SuSE install, and will install on a fresh machine.
   (ie. its not a set of packages for an existing machine)
   This is wise - you should spec a decent machine, with capacity
   for the future, as a mail server

b) you get support - quite important for businesses

c) there are web front ends for all administrative tasks.
   So once you set it up and are happy, you can train someone else
   how to (say) easily set up and delete accounts, without them having
   do do any more than drive a web browser.

At the time when I piloted then successfully implemented the server,
the groupware was from a German firm called Skyrix.
We actually didn't end up using this part.
If I'm not wrong, Skyrix has been rechristened and improved as Open
Groupware, and is what is on the SuSE Open Exhchange server.A

The other tip I would have, and goes for any Postfix server,
is to spec the server with a separate disk for the mail spool.
Nice and big and fast (not necessarily SCSI). We were happy with
Reiserfs on this disk - lots of small files, and a high transation rate.
And its journalled.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk