[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 09:30:49 UTC 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 abower at thebowery.co.uk wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 02:47:39AM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 Oct 2003 12:04 am, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > > At 22:57 27/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> > > Clues is actually about to take on an a new employee. This person has a
> > > terminal disease.  The fact this person will need regular time off for
> > > hospital visits and may unexpectedly need extended time out from work is
> > > simply not an issue: we think this person is perfectly capable of doing the
> > > job we have in mind.
> >
> > You are a very unusual employer!  Employers generally DO discriminate on
> > health grounds, though they'll make every effort to hide the fact.  It's
> > usually "justified" as "efficiency".
>
> You are allowed to discriminate against sick/ill people, because part of
> signing a contract could be to say you are suitable and available to carry out
> your job. The employer can quite legitimatley say that if you are not available
> to work contracted hours then they won't offer you the job.

	Most employers will give you the benifit of the doult to start
with especally if you've owned up. So long as you do your best, Maybe a
job application is not the best place to put health problems but its
always a good idea once you get to the contract stage.
	There is a differece between keeping them informed and taking the
biscuit.
	If you do have health problems keep your boss informed and if you
can show that you are doing your best by working from home (so you don't
spread germs) or working overtime (before/afterwards)
	I've got Diabetes and I will tend to tell people. Better that they
know than that they find out later when you calapse on them.
	Oh and the government will also give them more money for employing
people with disabilities....

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk