[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Oct 28 10:02:30 UTC 2003

On Tue 28 Oct, Peter Childs bloviated thus:

> 	If you do have health problems keep your boss informed and if you
> can show that you are doing your best by working from home (so you don't
> spread germs) or working overtime (before/afterwards)
> 	I've got Diabetes and I will tend to tell people. Better that they
> know than that they find out later when you calapse on them.

Diabetes is something that can be managed and carries none of the
stigma of other medical conditions.  My point is that it really is not
the place to be canvassing this kind of information -- its ONLY
purpose could be to exclude people who have been sick.  That's just
grossly unfair!

Of course, one could just lie.  It takes a court order to get medical
records otherwise...

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's
just the opposite.
- J K Galbraith

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk