[Gllug] Oracle and Linux

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Oct 27 13:50:27 UTC 2003

On Mon 27 Oct Tethys wrote:
> Don't get me started on that. When we upgraded from IIRC 8.0 to 8.1,
> we foudn that Oracle had dropped the text mode installer, so the only
> options were either a scripted install, or the bloated GUI java install
> (the latter requiring the installation of X libraries, which naturally
> weren't installed for security reasons -- it's a fscking server after
> all). The scripted option looked good until we found out that you can
> only script the initial install, not the subsequent patches, so we ended
> up having to install X. Grrrr.

Yes.  The old text installer was still a bit lame, but at least IT
ACTUALLY RUNS.  Who on earth decided Java was an appropriate language
for an *installer* needs their head examining.

I think I'm going to end up ditching Oracle, which I really quite like,
just because I hate their installer so much.

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk