[Gllug] Oracle and Linux

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Oct 27 12:56:05 UTC 2003

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>The main obstacle was the Oracle installer - a huge bloated Java
>application requiring an X server to communicate with. Stupid fonts,
>slow beyonf belief and, even nicer, the installer was broken by default
>requiring you to hop onto another terminal, edit a shell script and run
>it manually before asking the installer to Try Again.

Don't get me started on that. When we upgraded from IIRC 8.0 to 8.1,
we foudn that Oracle had dropped the text mode installer, so the only
options were either a scripted install, or the bloated GUI java install
(the latter requiring the installation of X libraries, which naturally
weren't installed for security reasons -- it's a fscking server after
all). The scripted option looked good until we found out that you can
only script the initial install, not the subsequent patches, so we ended
up having to install X. Grrrr.

>From choice, I'd probably go with PostgreSQL. But there are still valid
reasons why you might want to use Oracle in larger environments. Oracle
is full of "enterprise" features, such as the ability to see which
users are executing which SQL statements, and get an idea about how
each one is affecting performance. That's a really useful feature that
Postgres doesn't AFAIK support. There are many other examples.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk