[Gllug] Help Needed for windows to linux migration

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 16:39:12 UTC 2003

kumara g wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me how to do the following
>
> 1)what type of firewall is recommended ?
>
> 2)is it safe to run the firewall in a linux server
> with connections to both Internet and internal office
> network ?(i.e two network cards in it)

Your 2 networks - LAN and DMZ - should run on different IP ranges and be
routed through a dedicated firewall box with 3 interfaces:

1. Incoming internet/modem
2. LAN connection
3. DMZ connection

If you have only one IP address both LAN and DMZ can use non-routable,
private IP ranges so you might have the LAN on 192.168.0.0/24 and DMZ on
10.0.0.0/8. You will need to port-forward the public services running on
your DMZ box(es) and set rules for which users on the LAN can access
selective services on the DMZ.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk