[Gllug] Help Needed for windows to linux migration

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Oct 20 16:46:19 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 05:31:14PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Richard Jones writes:
>
> >You might also consider centralising authentication. There are two
> >approaches to this which I've used: using "NIS" (bitch to configure,
> >very unreliable), or use LDAP and configure each client with the pam
> >and NSS ldap clients. Last time I looked LDAP was the better of the
> >two, but both are/used to be very hard to configure.
>
> Cough! NIS is trivial to configure, and it's even reliable, but it's
> not tolerant of failures. LDAP on the other hand really *is* a bitch
> to configure, but will probably work better in the long run. For NIS,
> you just "cd /var/yp && make"

You're probably right. But I've personally had bad experiences with
NIS, and I've also personally created LDAP entries for a system with
thousands of users, and LDAP was definitely better for me.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.