[Gllug] ipv6

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 07:35:37 UTC 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Chris Bell wrote:

> Hello,
>    I have not been following the ipv6 progress very closely, but to quote
> Pete Ryland:
>
> > Try A&A: http://aa.nu/
> >
> > They gave me 16 (well, 14) ipv4 and 203 gazillion ipv6 addresses as part of
> > my home ADSL service.  They route both ipv4 and ipv6 traffic.
> >

>    This would seem to imply that either the internet infrastructure does not
> need to be altered from ipv4, or that it has already been upgraded. If it
> does already work, is it likely to be generally available soon from all
> ISPs, and will it help in the fight against junk email sources, as well as
> providing more addresses?
>    The next problem I can see is a lack of sensible domain names.

	IPv6 suffers from a few problems.

1. Its non standard. I think I ought to be able to run it on an internal
office network. but I have not seen any easy simple instructions. Only
theory. (Ideally I would like to run LTSP on it) (We're already running IP
masquriade behind a single fixed IPv4 IP)

2. IPv6 machines can be gatwayed to IPv4 and can there for see the
internet. there is a way to turn an IPv4 ip in to an IPv6 one but not
back. Hense I can see you bit you can see me.

3. Nobody likes change.

4. nobody has any chance of remembering there number. so databases become
more important.

Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk