[Gllug] wikis

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Thu Oct 9 13:23:55 UTC 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:50:26 +0100
itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:41:37AM +0100, Huw Lynes wrote:
> > On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:44:31 +0100
> > Jon Dye <jon at pecorous.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have any recomendations for wiki software?  We want to set
> > > one up at work and we have a linux box that already has apache, php
> > > 4.0.3 and perl 5.005 on it (a bit old I know).
> > >
> > we installed PHPWiki here about 12 months ago. People love it.
>
> What users love is Wikis, not any particular implementation.  All the
> wiki implementations share the same basic user interface and concept
> (even if some have different mark-up characters).  Jon is asking from a
> sysadmin's perspective and he'd benefit from knowing what advantages
> different wiki packages offer him as an administrator (and I'm sure many
> of the rest of us would be interested).

I'm fairly sure that I've already replied to this but it's not in my sent
folder so maybe I was hallucinating, which is not outside the bounds of
possibility given the week I've had. Anyway apologies if this turns up twice.

PHPWiki was installed as an afterthought when we overhauled our intranet. It
rapidly became unfeasibly popular. It has been in full use by about 250 users
for the last year and hasn't hiccuped. It was also very simple to get up and
running. The fact that all the data is in a mysql database (or the DB of your
choice) means that backup and restoration is v.simple. On the downside I'm not
convinced by it's PHP->database layer as the page history stopped working
fairly quickly.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk