[Gllug] knoppix

Pete Ryland pdr at accucard.com
Tue Oct 28 10:03:19 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 06:51:27AM +0000, Paul John Low wrote:
> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> >And verily, didst Paul John Low announce to the hordes:
> >>I don't seem to get anything under /proc/bus/usb/ the usb view reports a
> >>error where as when I boot it up on knoppixCD it works fine.
> >>
> >>if I will have a look a the permission if got any other idea. I think
> >>the error is about the usbfsdev or something like that.
> >

> >Looks to me like usbdevfs isn't being mounted.
> >
> Ok how I think I know what you mean can you tell me how to mount
> usbdevfs on startup. I use linux but I still try to find out how to
> configer it.

It has to be compiled in your kernel, but it's extrememly likely that a
stock distro kernel will have this.  From there, to mount the filesystem,
use the command:

mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb

as long as you already have an (empty) /proc/bus/usb directory.

To make this happen at boot time, put the following line in /etc/fstab:

none  /proc/bus/usb  usbfs  defaults  0  0

HTH,
Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk