[Gllug] What's so good about Debian?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 19:25:16 UTC 2003

On Thu 09 Oct, FORSTER, David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to all who've replied... It's not that I'm a computer newbie, just a
> Linux newbie and I've not had any experience with any Un*x based systems
> before so everything's all just a little... er... different. I understand
> the concepts and principles behind things but I get stuck on the trivial
> things. Like the other day for some reason I couldn't start a shell script
> by just typing it's filename, I had to precede it with a './' and still
> haven't figured out why. The problem is that I'm so used to programming in
> the M$ and VB environment that it's now difficult to do anything else and I
> find it very frustrating :o)
>
> Anyway... thanks for the advice... I might try and get my hands on a set of
> Debian ISOs and give it a try on a spare 4Gb drive I've got.
>
> David.

   You will find plenty of information, guides, and HOWTOs at

http://www.tldp.org

and Debian specific information at

http://www.uk.debian.org

   Find out details of the computer hardware before you start, you may need
details about video, sound, and network cards plus other add-on cards. You
should also have any information available about your internet, local
network, and email configuration.

   Set up any hardware connections needed to connect to your local network
or the internet before you start so that the installation process can walk
you through the setup.

   Do not try to install immediately everything you might need eventually,
you are likely to be asked too many configuration questions before you are
able to give sensible answers.

   The current version of Debian stable is 3.0 revision 1. There was a major
change in the memory handling system in Linux Kernel 2.4 during the testing
cycle for Debian version 3.0 so the Debian team did not consider the kernel
2.4 to be fully tested. Debian 3.0 was issued with Kernel 2.2 as standard,
with Kernel 2.4 as an option. I recommend 2.4, but it should be selected
right at the beginning of the installation process. Read the first page
before you press <return> for the first time, use the function keys to see
the various options before you start.

   You may wish to make notes about information shown on screen, it could
save time later.

   The user ID and group ID allocated to a user should be the same on every
computer on a local network, and it is easiest to achieve this when the user
details are first entered.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk