[Gllug] What's so good about Debian?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Oct 9 20:54:26 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:19:01PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Bruce Richardson writes:
>
> >For the same reason, you should always specify a full path to any
> >program you invoke in a script or name in an alias.
>
> I can't agree with this. Virtually all the scripts I write are
> designed to be portable, and the location of various programs
> differs, depending on which OS you're using (and even between
> versions of the same OS).

Virtually all of the scripts I write are designed for specific
administration tasks.  Making them portable isn't a priority and
portability issues are better resolved at install time than run time,
especially with complex scripts.

There's a certain trade off between portability and security.  It all
depends how paranoid you want to be (right down to the level of
prefacing all builtin commands with "builtin", if you want).

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.