[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Oct 27 22:57:01 UTC 2003

I'm just filling out a job application form for a job in the public
service.  Yes, it's MS fscking Word but I'll just have to live with
that.  OO seems to be coping.

I came across this:

===
Are you aware of any medical conditions that may affect your work performance?

Please provide details of any absences you have had from your place of
employment or study for health reasons in the past 2 years? (continue
on a separate sheet if necessary)
===

Is it legal for them to ask this?  I mean, this isn't so they can
provide special equipment -- that can be ascertained later -- this
information could ONLY be used to discriminate against someone who has
been sick!

I'm going to ignore the question as I don't think they have any right
to know anyway.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

HTML's a cheap whore. Treating her with respect is possible,
and even preferable, because once upon a time she was a
beautiful and virginal format, but you shouldn't expect too
much of her at this point."

- Mark "Kamikaze" Hughes

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk