[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

Ben Whyte ben at whyte-systems.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 09:41:06 UTC 2003

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
<snip>
> Are you aware of any medical conditions that may affect your work performance?
>
> Please provide details of any absences you have had from your place of
> employment or study for health reasons in the past 2 years? (continue
> on a separate sheet if necessary)
> ===
>
> Is it legal for them to ask this?  I mean, this isn't so they can
> provide special equipment -- that can be ascertained later -- this
> information could ONLY be used to discriminate against someone who has
> been sick!
>
> I'm going to ignore the question as I don't think they have any right
> to know anyway.

They are quite entitled to ask this as it effects your ability to do the
work that they are paying you for.

They are also checking on your general health.  They do not wish to
employ people who are likely to have a lot of sick time as it is
inefficient and not good business practice.

Some companies will ask you to undertake a medical, if they have any
problems, and any job offer will be subject to a suitable medical report
being received.

If you ignore the question you will be ignored for the job.  Or asked to
provide the information.  You are welcome to provide the answers in a
sealed envelope which would be kept to hr/personnel.

Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk