[Gllug] Norman Lamb MP

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Oct 13 07:26:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Chris Bell wrote:

> On Sun 12 Oct, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> > Oh dear.  Another one fooled by the anti-technology lobby.
> > Radio energy is radio energy regardless of frequency / wavelength.  Perhaps a
> > little basic EM theory would help?  Look up "inverse-square law".....
Not really.
The frequency does matter.
Electromagnetic radiation covers a whole spectrum - from VLF used to
communicate with submarines right across to gamma rays.
You can't say that

Even in the RF region, I'd be much more concerned about high frequency,
near infrared stuff than VLF.

> > Chris
> >
>    I do not think there is a problem at the levels we are likely to
> encounter, and any problems would first become obvious with persons employed
> in the communications industry. I have worked in areas such as broadcast
Points very much taken about the communications industry.

>    Persons worried about radiation should definitely not travel by air
> because of interstellar radiation, they should never go to places like
> Cornwall, Wales, Northern England, and Scotland because of natural nuclear
But sorry - you make a sudden jump here to ionising radiation.
There IS a threshold of frequency where EM radiation causes ionisation,
which is at the high range of the frequency spectrum (X-rays, gamma rays).
Ionisation is well known to cause molecular damage, and hence cause such
things as radiation sickness, genetic damage etc. - of course given
sufficient doses. And ionising radiation is quite properly regulated.
(Cue gruesome stories of early X-ray pioneers).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk