[Gllug] processor problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 18:56:57 UTC 2003

On Fri 17 Oct, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:15:32AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    A delayed error like this could be an overheating problem due to a
> > blocked processor heatsink or fan stopped. I have often found a solid wall
> > of debris hidden behind the fan. If it is a sleeve bearing fan it may need a
> > drop of oil. Unscrew the fan from the heatsink, carefully lift the label
> > from the frame side to reveal the bearing, there may also be a rubber bung.
> > Drop a small amount of high quality light oil on to the bearing and replace
>
> I must admit that I normally squirt some WD40 into the bearing, mainly 'cos
> it is at hand. Any better recommendation ?
>
> > the seal. I normally check the power supply fan as well, but beware that
> > there will still be components inside connected to high volts stored on
> > charged capacitors long after mains power is disconnected.

   The generic sleeve bearing is sintered, i.e. it is a highly compressed
powder, so that it is porous, and can absorb oil. It is supposed to be
lubricated for life, whatever that may mean. WD40 is supposed to be a "dry"
lubricant. Some oils eventually dry to a sticky goo, and should be avoided.
Singer sewing machine oil was once reputed to be excellent, 3-in-one
dubious. I have a small quantity of Castrol Hyspin which is a special high
grade light oil, there must be plenty of others.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk