[Gllug] processor problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 11:09:46 UTC 2003

On Fri 17 Oct, Peter Ball wrote:

> At the sort of time this computer would have been built I was called in by a fair numb
> er
> of purchasers of pc's supplied by two companies with names beginning with T.  Build
> quality, documentation and customer "service" were crud or worse.
>
>  Also about then I had many reliability problems with AMD processors and since then I
> have largely got my customers to use celeron's on the budget machines.
>
> I support a fair number of machines with celeron's and so far as I can remember I have
>
> only had one single fault  which I put down to a probable celeron processor failure.
>
> I suspect that AMD's are now much more reliable (so long as the cooling and power
> supply are 100%) but I don't support enough AMD's to be really confident on that.

   I was told that the Intel chips (used to?) have a temperature dependant
divider which reduced the effective clock speed as they heated up, while AMD
chips were effectively always overclocked, but did not overheat under normal
use in an office environment. I have no idea whether either of these are
true, perhaps someone might be able to be more definite.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk