[Gllug] processor problem

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 12:32:47 UTC 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Chris Bell wrote:

> On Fri 17 Oct, Peter Ball wrote:
> >

> > At the sort of time this computer would have been built I was called in by a fair numb
> > er
> > of purchasers of pc's supplied by two companies with names beginning with T.  Build
> > quality, documentation and customer "service" were crud or worse.
> >
> >  Also about then I had many reliability problems with AMD processors and since then I
> > have largely got my customers to use celeron's on the budget machines.
> >
> > I support a fair number of machines with celeron's and so far as I can remember I have
> >
> > only had one single fault  which I put down to a probable celeron processor failure.
> >
> > I suspect that AMD's are now much more reliable (so long as the cooling and power
> > supply are 100%) but I don't support enough AMD's to be really confident on that.
> >
>    I was told that the Intel chips (used to?) have a temperature dependant
> divider which reduced the effective clock speed as they heated up, while AMD
> chips were effectively always overclocked, but did not overheat under normal
> use in an office environment. I have no idea whether either of these are
> true, perhaps someone might be able to be more definite.

 I have the same processor as the OP, I've never had a problem with it, I
don't give it much of a bash, I use it from time to time to recompile
FreeBSD and OpenBSD, i.e make world,  and the odd MDK kernel.

 It is mounted on a Asus P5A-B motherboard that I think only does up to
 550 Mhz processors.

 It's cooled by one of those massive very quiet fans only, with 3 UW-SCSI
7200rpm hard-disks, one IDE cdrom, one IDE 5200rpm hard-disk and a SCSI
cd-rewriter.

 So it's quite packed, runs smoothly, and nicely.

 Formi.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk