[Gllug] Network cable splitters

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.com
Sun Oct 26 11:21:03 UTC 2003

On 26 Oct 2003 at 1:42, Dylan wrote:

> In my continuing home LAN bumblings, I need to run a line about 30m.
> I'll be using the cat5 with the single cores, not the flex style,
> between two RJ5 socket boxes. Now, I need to run two lines, for two
> separate networks. I've seen splitters, which allow one cat5 cable to
> carry two network connections. Have any of you used anything like
> that? Is it reliable? Wireless is not an option at the moment (I'm
> more keen to get a laptop first to justify it to the bf.)

No problem so long as all lines and connectors are good,  I always have some of these
in my tool box.  10/100 only uses 2 out of 4 pairs.  In theory I would prefer to run a
separate line to each socket but in real life that is not always possible - time, space in
cable duct.

It's quick and dirty and gives messy cabling cabinets but it works fine :-)

Peter Ball
Computers For Linguists
peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk