[Gllug] Norman Lamb MP

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Wed Oct 15 09:08:05 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Tethys announce to the hordes:

> Nix writes:
>
> >Indeed; an average of 30,000 mutation events per day per cell (most
> >caused by free radicals, not radiation). All but a vanishingly small
> >fraction are fixed immediately (or we'd all be dead).
>
> Yep, but ultimately, that's the reason that we *do* die. The mutations
> and transcription errors, although few and far between, over time add up,
> and eventually make us non-viable.

Nah, they proved quite a while ago that the ends of DNA are "tipped" with
redundant material that flakes off each time it splits. When the redundant
stuff (can't remember the name) wears out, viable DNA begins to wear away,
and this is when we die of old age. Our cells start to pack up.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk