[Gllug] Laptops?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Oct 29 16:46:17 UTC 2003

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 01:27:04PM +0100, Fasih Rehman wrote:
> Here is a crazy notion get an Apple iBook or if you can stretch your
> budget a Powerbook. Apple just upgraded the iBook processor to the G4
> series making the base 12" model a very good buy at only ?850.
>
> I'm running Debian and OS X 10.2 on an G3 iBook, I'm not alone on this
> crazyness, I used this guide http://www.flamingspork.com/linux/ibook/.

[Spent a few more exhaustive days trying to find a reasonable laptop
without Windows, to no avail]

I have a couple of further questions about the Apple option if you
don't mind.

The G4 processors are clocked pretty slow (typically under 1 GHz,
compared to >2.5 GHz to the latest Intel laptops). Now my
understanding was that the G4 was a RISC-ish processor, and so should
be able to do fewer operations per cycle than the CISC-ish x86, and
thus ought to be clocked considerably _higher_ and not lower. Now I
assume that these Apple machines aren't actually really slow, so how
does this work? Are they very superscalar? Vector architecture? Does
the graphics architecture compensate for really slow main CPU?

Also, is it possible to repartion the machines and dual boot Debian
and Mac OS X at the same time? How easy is this to achieve?

Thanks in advance,

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj