[Gllug] Laptops?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 18:38:13 UTC 2003

Richard Jones wrote:

> Hmmmm ...
>
> A friend of mine has a Powerbook G4 (one of the ones with a 17"
> display) which is, of course, insanely cool.  But also pretty
> expensive, and not really competitive with generic PC hardware.
>
> If I was going to run MacOS X I'd have to get a Mac, but if I bought a
> Mac would I really run MacOS X on it, or would I get hacked off with
> it after a while and scrawl Debian over the top?  I suspect the
> latter.

Well as it happens, I bought a Mac (not an expensive iBook, a cheap iMac
off eBay) so I could try out MacOSX. Oddly enough, it's currently
running Debian (although OSX is still there and can be booted if
required - it just doesn't seem to be required a lot).

I think you're quite right, OSX is a step in the right direction but
it's not all there and Linux is a lot better.

But those 17" Powerbooks do look good. If I needed a laptop and had the
budget I'd still get one of them, and run Debian on it. But my spare
cash goes in more useful directions - bikes:)

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk