[Gllug] Oracle and Linux

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Mon Oct 27 12:38:25 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 12:06, Pete Ryland wrote:
> Wow!  I'm amazed that you got it to work.  Last time I tried installing
> Oracle on Debian, it required so much "tweaking" of the system that you'd be
> hard pressed to still call it Debian.  Whereas (following all the rules)
> Oracle just worked on Redhat without any problems.

The main obstacle was the Oracle installer - a huge bloated Java
application requiring an X server to communicate with. Stupid fonts,
slow beyonf belief and, even nicer, the installer was broken by default
requiring you to hop onto another terminal, edit a shell script and run
it manually before asking the installer to Try Again.

--
Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk