[Gllug] Oracle and Linux

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 19:49:11 UTC 2003

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 12:06, Pete Ryland wrote:
>
>>Wow!  I'm amazed that you got it to work.  Last time I tried installing
>>Oracle on Debian, it required so much "tweaking" of the system that you'd be
>>hard pressed to still call it Debian.  Whereas (following all the rules)
>>Oracle just worked on Redhat without any problems.
>

> The main obstacle was the Oracle installer - a huge bloated Java
> application requiring an X server to communicate with.

Yes, it is seriously pants. I once tried to use it to install 9iASR2
(which is much more of a pig than the RDBMS) on my test server which is
a P500 with 500MB memory and 1GB swap. It froze it solid. Subsequently
installing it onto a real server with 2.5GB memory with nothing else
running at the time made it swap.

Once you've got Oracle products installed they do get a lot easier:)

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk