[Gllug] Linux For Beginners

Kristian Davies kristian at ELIXIR-STUDIOS.CO.UK
Thu Oct 23 10:09:58 UTC 2003

> So, I'm looking for another distro to recommend.  This is for proper
> newbies - people who are intelligent but otherwise completely clue
free,
> and generally manualaphobic obviously.

I would suggest Mandrake, because that's what I have used, and it seems
straight forward, bung in the cd and click till it's installed, any problems
with updates is kind of good, because it requires you to actually do a bit
of reading. (might have been fixed now)

I thought I'd drop a question in while im here, if im using something like
mandrake and I was after a very bare install for a gateway/firewall type
machine, do you just go through the installation as normal and at the module
screen just deselect everything in sight (apart from what you need) ??

Please don't moan/groan at my disclaimer... not my choice, or my
inappropriate use of apostrophes or that im using outlook or.... :-)

Cheers,
Kristian

The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk