[Gllug] XP - Linux dual boot

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Oct 2 23:32:37 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:09:39PM +0100, Doug wrote:
> > lilo can easily be set up to boot Windows. Not sure about other boot
> > loaders. Having recently got a machine from work with XP on it but
> > needing Linux, I have done all this. I use Debian, but I would think
> > that RedHat would be at least as co-operative.
>
> Grub works nicely too.  Not tried with XP mind, but I doubt M$ have
> changed the bootloader much from win2k.

Grub is much more intelligent than Lilo and I'd recommend it especially
in situations like dual boot, where there's a risk of messing things up.
If lilo fails to boot then it just gives up and you are left with a
useless box until you find or make a boot disk.  If grub can't boot your
kernel then it lets you edit the configuration options and try again.
In addition, because Grub understands filesystems (as opposed to Lilo,
which has to be pointed at a specific disk location), it doesn't need
to be re-run every time you recompile a kernel.

--
Bruce

Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards, apart from
ostriches if you punch them hard enough.