[Gllug] XP - Linux dual boot

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 03:59:28 UTC 2003

On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 10:09 pm, Doug Winter wrote:

> Grub works nicely too.  Not tried with XP mind, but I doubt M$ have
> changed the bootloader much from win2k.

Grub works fine with XP - got that combination on this particular box.  My
install procedure was to partition first, setting the partitions for Linux to
the current flavour of choice (Ext3) so that Windoze can't see them.  Then
install XP.  Then install the proper operating system - distros that I've
tried (Mandrake, Suse, RedHat) will set up Grub (or Lilo) for you.  Opt to
have it installed on the MBR of your first hard drive, and it obliterates the
XP MBR, and upon boot will give you a full list of options (though XP is
labelled "NT").

 Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk