[Gllug] Norman Lamb MP

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 14:00:51 UTC 2003

On Sun 12 Oct, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On Saturday 11 Oct 2003 9:55 pm, Peter Rutherford wrote:
>
> > Yes, but that is a different type of radiation.
> > Kids are putting a device transmitting microwave
> >  radiation in their trouser pockets as close as
> > they can get to their reproductive DNA short of
> > surgical implantation.
> >
> > Does the next generation belong to people who
> > think that mobiles suck?
>
> Oh dear.  Another one fooled by the anti-technology lobby.
> Radio energy is radio energy regardless of frequency / wavelength.  Perhaps a
> little basic EM theory would help?  Look up "inverse-square law".....
>
> Chris

   I do not think there is a problem at the levels we are likely to
encounter, and any problems would first become obvious with persons employed
in the communications industry. I have worked in areas such as broadcast
transmitters, Crystal Palace mast, and the roof of the Guy's Hospital Tower
which has so many aerials that we had to use large amounts of metal foil to
reduce the RF interference. Areas around power transmitters such as Daventry
have such high levels of radiation that the transmissions can be heard on a
damp day as the induced voltages cause arcing in the surrounding trees, and
metal objects carry labels warning people not to touch when particular
transmitter frequencies are in use.
   However I have heard that there is continuing research into the effects
of some frequencies used by mobile phones because they are very close to a
resonant frequency of water, and there is a slight possibility that water
could be ionised, leaving very short lived reactive ions in sensitive areas
of the body. The frequencies that are most likely to produce any effect like
this are the ones used in microwave ovens; they produce a surface heating
effect but do not penetrate far below the surface. The stray radiation from
a microwave oven is very much higher than that emitted by a mobile phone
transmitter.
   Persons worried about radiation should definitely not travel by air
because of interstellar radiation, they should never go to places like
Cornwall, Wales, Northern England, and Scotland because of natural nuclear
radiation, they should stay well away from coal fired power stations because
of natural radiation from Radon gas released from the coal, they should not
eat certain foods such as apples but stay away from crowds, both of which
contain so much potassium that they are more naturally radioactive than the
maximum allowed from nuclear power station waste (and we would not survive
without the correct minimum amount of potassium). We have had to tolerate
and repair random damage to our bodies for rather longer than this
generation has been around.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk