[Gllug] Help Needed for windows to linux migration

kumara g kumara_whg at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 15:46:39 UTC 2003

Hi guys,
I need a big help from all of you experts !!!.

We have a small business network in sheffield with 12
PC's with ISDN connection to the Internet.All PC's run
WindowsNT.Since the Microsoft is going to cutoff the
supportfor win95/win98 and NT we are planning to
migrate tolinux.Also we are going to get BT broadband
pretty soon.

we want to setup a small network with our own
Email server and a web server.Currently our web site
is hosted by a third party company and we use ISP for
the email server/dns.

I have inastalled 2  redhat 9 servers and few linux
desktop workstations without much problems.

Can anyone please tell me how to do the following

1)what type of firewall is recommended ?

2)is it safe to run the firewall in a linux server
with connections to both Internet and internal office
network ?(i.e two network cards in it)

3)should i use seperate linux boxes for each mail
server,DNS server(i dont know i need to setup this
one),Proxy server,firewall,samba file server ? or is
it possible for some of these to co exist?

4)how to setup a email server ? i.e i want to send and
recive emails for all the users  .I have read of
send mail/postfix and pop3/imap, will these be enough
for users to send and recive email from their desktops

5)Any resources / sugesstions for above set ups ?

I know these is a one hell of a long request . But can
anyone help me, maybe just give few hints , i can
read,study and spent lot of time.

Thanks in advance........

Cheers

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk