[Gllug] Help Needed for windows to linux migration

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Oct 20 15:57:49 UTC 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, kumara g wrote:

> 1)what type of firewall is recommended ?

What level of protection are you after and what services do you want to
run through it?

You need to have a very clear idea of your requirements before you ask for
specific product recommendations.

> 2)is it safe to run the firewall in a linux server
> with connections to both Internet and internal office
> network ?(i.e two network cards in it)

Without multiple interfaces it's not much of a firewall!

> 3)should i use seperate linux boxes for each mail
> server,DNS server(i dont know i need to setup this
> one),Proxy server,firewall,samba file server ? or is
> it possible for some of these to co exist?

You can do all of this on one box however I'd recommend against running
the services on the firewall - it's a bad idea.

All of the other services can be on one other box.

> 4)how to setup a email server ? i.e i want to send and
> recive emails for all the users  .I have read of
> send mail/postfix and pop3/imap, will these be enough
> for users to send and recive email from their desktops

Yes. I'd recommend postfix and courier-imap for an office installation.
This will give you a good email platform that's easy to manage.

> 5)Any resources / sugesstions for above set ups ?

<blatent plug>
Obviously I also recommend our Internet access services - we offer ADSL at
very attractive prices.

If you need help to get everything in place my consultancy rates are
modest.
</blatant plug>

For the office server "SME Server" is often recommended as a very good
all-in-one solution.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk