[Gllug] Recording a RealAudio radio programme...

Ashley Evans k0210244 at kingston.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 17:47:20 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 17:55, Dylan wrote:

> > > Now that sounds much easier!!
> >
> > Did a little experimenting over the weekend...
> > I got a couple of details wrong.
> > oggenc doesn't like output from the dsp. I think you'd need to take it
> > from /dev/audio. And you'd need to set alsamixer for capturing from the
> > capture and "mix" device, not aux.
>
> Yes, I worked that out from some fiddling myself, but something is awry at
> my end as I only got either static or silence in the .ogg file.
>
> I ended up just using vsound -t -d trplayer ......
>
> and got a wav file, so I can burn that to CD
>
> I've never had any luck trying to record/encode/play ogg files - seems to
> me it's all a biy flaky.
>
> Dylan
>
> --
> Sweet moderation
> Heart of this nation
> Desert us not
> We are between the wars
> - Billy Bragg

I use this to record radio 2

vsound -d -s realplay http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/realmedia/fmg2.rpm | sox -t
au -c 2 - -t wav -c 2 - speed 2 | lame -b 96 - /home/hoshy/radio/radio2.mp3

I have to double the speed in sox because there's a "your listening to bbc
radio2" message at a different bitrate.

I also have a DVB card which I can't use for some channels or radio because of
poor signal stength. However, if you can get a good signal a DVB card is more
than worth it.

Ashley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk