[Gllug] Debian

Peter Rutherford peter_m_r at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 21:21:05 UTC 2003

>>On Mon Oct 20 13:55:05 2003, itsbruce at uklinux.net
worried
>>the punters with: "What, you want
>>packages automatically fetched and downloaded for
you?  Don't you know
>>how to check for updates?  Don't you know how to
download files or
>>install packages?  Red Hat assumes you have a clue,
you Debian->>dependant wuss."

>On Mon Oct 20, at about the same time,Martin A.
Brooks proposed:
>Debian assumes you have a clue, Redhat/Mandrake do
not.

I would almost be willing to wager my internal organs
that Linux
will not take off until it is as easy to install as
Windows 95.

I picked up RH and Debian CDs at GLLUG, and there
isn't even a
"Start here" notice. Everyone knows what an image is.
At least,
until they come across Linux, and then they aren't so
sure any
more. There are dozens of readme files, in every
language except
Ruritanian, and release notes, also in all known
tongues,
including two regional variations of Klingon.

But nobody is going to tell you where to begin, and
you will
not find out unless you have already done the job once
before.

If the Linux fraternity want to frighten the Beast of
Redmond,
then this will not happen until Linux distributions
have one
of those reassuring setup.exe icons, with an
instruction to
click on it and go to the toilet or go out to buy a
celebratory
danish (or even a norwegian) pastry.

Until then, Linux will stay in line behind an
operating system
which deems to be important pastel coloured
see-through system
boxes which clash with most internal decor systems but
does, at
least, have a nice roundy thermometer-like scroll bar
to make
up for it.

Maybe RH, Debian, Suse et alia should be parachuted
into the Isle
of Mull, and not let off until a team of 100 ramdomly
selected
newbies can install their products unaided.

Phew, I feel better now.

Peter R.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk