[Gllug] Debian

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Oct 21 08:27:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Peter Rutherford wrote:

> I would almost be willing to wager my internal organs
> that Linux
> will not take off until it is as easy to install as
> Windows 95.

So which organs shall we start with then?

Windows 95 is a harder to install than Linux. It doesn't support lots of
modern hardware that Linux does. It didn't recognise lots of hardware at
the time it was current.

Most Linux distros only require a profile selection to say the machine is
a workstation, server or development system. After that everything is
automatically decided and it just works.

One reboot and you have your Linux system installed.

> I picked up RH and Debian CDs at GLLUG, and there
> isn't even a
> "Start here" notice.

Why should there be such a notice? Why not just insert the CD and boot
your PC or just read the file named README - that's a fairly big clue!

> If the Linux fraternity want to frighten the Beast of
> Redmond,
> then this will not happen until Linux distributions
> have one
> of those reassuring setup.exe icons, with an
> instruction to
> click on it and go to the toilet or go out to buy a
> celebratory
> danish (or even a norwegian) pastry.

It's not a Windows program. Why should it include Windows executables?

Such an approach was taken a long time ago ut it wasn't very popular.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk