[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Oct 28 10:05:25 UTC 2003

On Tue 28 Oct, Ben Whyte bloviated thus:

> They are quite entitled to ask this as it effects your ability to do the
> work that they are paying you for.

So, if you're female, would they also have the right to force you to
take a pregnancy test?  How about if they insist you take
contraception if you want the job?  Same issue, really!

> They are also checking on your general health.  They do not wish to
> employ people who are likely to have a lot of sick time as it is
> inefficient and not good business practice.

So that means that if you have poor health, you are unemployable.  How
fair!

> Some companies will ask you to undertake a medical, if they have any
> problems, and any job offer will be subject to a suitable medical report
> being received.

The sort of companies for which I will not work.  On principle.

> If you ignore the question you will be ignored for the job.  Or asked to
> provide the information.  You are welcome to provide the answers in a
> sealed envelope which would be kept to hr/personnel.

I'll just lie.  I was in hospital last year, but they'll never know.
Nor do I think they have any right to know.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

I've got nothing against any Viet Cong.

- Muhammed Ali in refusing to register for the draft

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk