[Gllug] BBC on Microsoft DRM in new Outlook

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Oct 21 09:00:18 UTC 2003

On Tue 21 Oct John Hearns wrote:
> I may be wrong, but I do remember that there are strict controls in the
> US administration on archiving email - as its recognised that this has
> taken over from paper. Anyone who knows for sure please speak up?

Within the government there may be regulations.   As far as businesses
go, some forms of correspondence have to be kept - directors expenses
need to be kept for a billion years in a lead box or something, but in
general afaik there are no requirements on businesses to keep general
correspondence.

Microsoft have apparently started destroying all emails after six
months, to avoid the document discovery problems they had during their
anti-trust antics.  Can't find a reference to this though, so I may have
imagined it.

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF