[Gllug] MP crap shock

Richard Smith richard at gotworms.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 13:59:03 UTC 2003

> Try writing a polite letter/email to him pointing out the failings of
> his plan and suggesting some more viable alternatives - If he's so
> stupid whats *your* fool proof plan for stopping spam? I'm not flaming
> you here but you need to give the guy a chance, if you show him the
> right thing to do (tm) and he still fscks up then you can call him stupid.

I'm part of a very small group of people made up of ISP mostly, who are
working on strategies to combat spam at the protocol level, and I have
written to the Right Honourable (Idiotic IMO) Derek Wyatt, and suggested
that he meet with us to discuss possible outcomes to combat spam.

Since there are several key factors that conribute to spam, it's a safe
bet that if you eliminate or at least restrict those factors, then the
level of spam will reduce.

Derek's basic premise of verifyable senders is a great idea, although
since he has little to no understanding of the protocols and
technologies involved, he's come to the one obvious conclusion: a policy
that's not pro-active in the protection. For any anti-spam policy to be
effective, it needs to be pro-active. IE verification happens before the
the email is even routed.

Believe in the Force... ISP's can be a force to reckon with when they
want to ;)

--
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk