[Gllug] Debian

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Mon Oct 20 11:46:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 12:29, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>  GUI option is really a side issue.  I want it to find hardware and
> install appropriate drivers!  I want to have a working X installation
> without manually choosing all the right options.  Knoppix does both
> these things incredibly well.

Debian assumes you have a clue, Redhat/Mandrake do not.

If you want/need clicky GUIs to install Linux then stick with tat like
Mandrake. If you need a maintainable, stable, coherant system, i.e. one
suitable for production, then you either need to get a clue or hire
someone who has one anyway and a more technically orientated installer
won't be a problem.

You spend maybe 30 minutes installing an OS on your hardware and then,
hopefully, you'll have a good few years before needing to do so again.
I'd rather see more effort put into the bit that's going to be used for
years, which is what Debian does.

--
Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/