[Gllug] Newcomer

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 17:51:16 UTC 2003

Harry Mantheakis wrote:

> I want to set up a Linux development server at home. I am new to Linux, and
> my knowledge of servers is very superficial and limited too.
>
> Harry Mantheakis
> London

Hello Harry

If it's a web development server you want to setup I can recommend a D-Link
300G+ ADSL modem and a Netgear RP114 4-port router/switch. If you're
ADSL/cable provider supplies the modem just go for the router.

Set the router's LAN IP to 10.0.0.254 and each connecting machine anywhere
within the range 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.253 with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0.

Mandrake comes with a nicely setup "Advanced Extranet Server" complete with
Apache 2, PHP 4.3 and Perl 5.8 along with MySQL 4.0 and PostgreSQL 7.3. That
should cover most of your needs. Once you're running them as services on
your LAN, with Firestarter for an extra layer of protection, you're free to
view web pages from any Windows, Mac or Linux machine connected to the LAN.
Just file the webstites under /var/www/htdocs/ or /var/www/html/, configure
this as Apache's document root and point the browser to http://<server's
IP>/<website>/.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk