[Gllug] Linux For Beginners

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 10:30:56 UTC 2003

On Thursday 23 Oct 2003 10:42 am, Doug Winter wrote:
> So, I'm looking for another distro to recommend.  This is for proper
> newbies - people who are intelligent but otherwise completely clue free,
> and generally manualaphobic obviously.
>
> I'm happy to babysit an install with them, but after that I don't want
> to have to provide telephone support for the rest of their natural lives
>
> :)
>
> Thoughts?

Mandrake is excellent for getting started. I started with version 6.something
in 1999 and have kept with it all the way through (for desktops anyway).
Updating is a piece of cake with great graphical frontends to everything for
the point-and-clickers.

I have used it for servers as well but have since settled on Debian for those
for reasons thrashed out elsewhere on the list :-)

I like it better than Red Hat and Suse but this is just personal preference
because I have used it for so long, I prefer the way it does things but the
other two would probably be just as good. Mandrake installation is simplicity
itself...

SteveH

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk