[Gllug] RAID Controller on Linux/SPARC

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Oct 20 08:46:09 UTC 2003

On Sun 19 Oct Fasih Rehman wrote:
> I managed to get my hands on a UltraSparc 10 from work, it's basically
> a bog standard Sun board in a regular desktop case (ATX). It is running
> Solaris at the moment but I'm going to put Debian on it. The thing is I
> want to put a large IDE (Soft) RAID in it.
>
> So I planning on putting a Promise (or similar) controller into it. Now
> my question is will a standard PCI card designed for a PC work in a
> SPARC? I have google'd but only found references on the KMLs with
> regard to the integrated IDE bus nothing about supported PCI
> controllers. I remember encountering a problem in the past with a PC
> SCSI card, basically the cards are wired specially to deal with BIOS.
> Can anyone confirm this one way or the other ?

If this was me, I'd just use software RAID.  Those Promise boards are a
real PITA on x86, let alone other architectures, and it wouldn't
surprise me at all if it didn't work at all on SPARC.

However, do let us know if you get it to work :)

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"If you are the type of person who likes assault weapons, there