[Gllug] palm zire

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 03:36:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 00:05, Sean Burlington wrote:

> hmm..
>
> I tried upgrading - no help - same erro messages
>
> in any case it seems that the zire (not zire71) has been supported since
> 2.4.20-pre9

Oh oops. Sorry, my misreading.

> I've tried switching to usb-hotplug but now I get the error
>
> usb.agent[31425]: missing kernel or user mode driver visor

I don't _think_ that's harmful - you see it quite often for all manner
of things, I think it's just saying it ain't got anything else to run
for that device in the /etc/hotplug/usb/<name of thing> per-thingy
script directory, which suits us just fine.

In the following, keep in mind that palm-related devices only appear
whilst hotsync-ing (oh and also if you make a
network-connection-over-USB, but that's another topic) so nothing
happens unless you press the hotsync button on your palm.

On my machine with my T3 (partner's Zire71 and my M505 produce very
similar results, only difference is USB product IDs):

[0] I am sitting comfortably with caffeinated drink of choice.
[1] Place palm on cradle.
[2] Press hotsync button on cradle or application: the palm connects,
visor module recognises it and connects up the ttyUSB* devices:

Oct 28 02:58:20 hal9000 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:10.1-2,
assigned address 10
Oct 28 02:58:20 hal9000 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo /
Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter detected
Oct 28 02:58:20 hal9000 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo /
Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for
devfs)
Oct 28 02:58:20 hal9000 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo /
Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for
devfs)
Oct 28 02:58:23 hal9000 usb.agent[11453]: kernel driver visor already
loaded

[3] The palm can now be hotsync-ed using the device /dev/ttyUSB1; this
is a character device:

crw-rw----    1 root     dialout  188,   1 2003-10-28 03:05 /dev/ttyUSB1

usually one would make a symlink called /dev/pilot pointing at this,
since pilot-link etc defaults to using /dev/pilot. You don't need the
ttyUSB0 device.

[4] Start up the program you are using to talk to the palm, e.g. you
could do something harmless such as listing all the installed
applications:

$ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -l
   Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB1
   Please press the HotSync button now... Connected
Reading list of databases in RAM...
Novarra-11
[... snip big list ...]
VFSMark_vfsM_appl_a68k