[Gllug] Laptops?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Oct 29 21:59:43 UTC 2003

Henrik Morsing <henrik at morsing.cc> writes:

>> The POWER4 is a full 64-bit mainframe monster.
>
> I don't think mainframes use the POWER processor but I've just tried to
> find something on the Internet and can't so...

I thought the sole reason for the POWER4 and 5 was the mainframe
market. Who else installs water-cooled multi-chip-modules with 16 or 32
CPU's on?

If you google for the IBM Journal of R&D, there's an entire issue on the
design of POWER4 - worth a look just to see *how* different it is culturally...

>> The POWER4 is a monster of a thing. Someone described the key difference
>> between IBM's mainframe technology and everyone else's technology as
>> "being able to provide pins by the thousand" - and when you consider
>> that most CPU's wind up being io-bandwidth-limited, an extra thousand
>> pins can be handy...
>
> 8MB L2 cache on-chip also helps a bit :-)

Not to mention those high-speed links between CPU's, and that 128MB
shared L3 cache, and ...

> Here the redbook for the POWER4:
> http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/9445fa5b416f6e32852569ae006bb65f/5c7c7f1e918fc0cd86256a79007bf8b1?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,POWER4
>
> POWER5 is coming soon :-)