[Gllug] What's so good about Debian?

FORSTER, David david.forster at mfi.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 08:50:29 UTC 2003

Hi All,

This is quite obviously a newbie question, so I apologise in advance :o)

I went to the Linux Expo yesterday and was chatting to a guy about various
things and I explained how I've just gotten into Linux. I told him that I
was using Mandrake 9.1 and was planning to install Red Hat 9 on another PC
soon and he started to evangelise (to coin an industry phrase) about Debian
to me and I couldn't understand why. My understanding was that a Distro was
purely a collection of various different applications, all of which are
based around the Linux kernel. Have I missed something and is Debian really
different in some way or was this just a case of 'Distro Worship' :o)

David.