[Gllug] Debian

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Oct 24 07:25:40 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, David Damerell stipulated:
>>5/ Network transparency
>>Gnome and KDE work very hard to undermine all of those features,
>
> I use bits of Gnome - the gnome-panel and a few applications. 1,2 and
> 3 never went away. 4 is still the case, it's just that one of those
> things I add is the gnome-panel. 5 doesn't seem any less true.

No, it's Gtk that kills 5). Gtk 1.x, at least, and I think 2.x as well
can't display a window on more than one $DISPLAY at once.

Normally this doesn't matter, but for programs like XEmacs this is
a killer. (It's stopped me from using XEmacs/GTK for anything
significant.)

--
`If you want a vision of the future, it is a wireless broadband network
 feeding requests for foreign money-laundering assistance into a human

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk