[Gllug] Re: Linux and Open Source event - 16th September

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 08:31:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Gordon Joly wrote:

> >The dress code for the event is business suits and the full agenda
> >is as follows:
>

> Dear Ms Gratte,
>
> I am not a great fan of suits. Hence, I shall not attend.
>
> GNU/Linux will grow, with or without a tux.
>
> Gordo

	Hmm I know what you mean. Says he in a white shirt company...
Unfortunately computer (especially Linux People) are already seen of as a
bit geek-ish and us all wanting to were jeans and t-shirts does not help!
If Tony Blair and Co turned up for work in Jeans heads would turn. If I
turned up for work in a Company Tie and a Jacket heads would turn too.
For most computer users ties are a pain as they only get stuck in the
processor fan. But Dress Codes are part of life.
	Every Programmer knows that Unix is king (Whether its Linux, BSD or
Solaris) even Microsoft. Its just Going around with a beard, holey jumper
and jeans does not sell it. Using hundreds of tech-ey words does not sell
when all the user wants to do is write there letter to the tax man and
play games.
	Apple are making changes but OSX has already overtaken Linux in
the popular stakes.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk