[Gllug] Re: Linux and Open Source event - 16th September

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Thu Sep 18 09:22:26 UTC 2003

At 9:31 +0100 2003/09/16, Peter Childs wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Gordon Joly wrote:
>

>> >The dress code for the event is business suits and the full agenda
>> >is as follows:
>>

>> Dear Ms Gratte,
>>
>> I am not a great fan of suits. Hence, I shall not attend.
>>
>> GNU/Linux will grow, with or without a tux.
>>
>> Gordo
>>
>	Hmm I know what you mean. Says he in a white shirt company...
>Unfortunately computer (especially Linux People) are already seen of as a
>bit geek-ish and us all wanting to were jeans and t-shirts does not help!
>If Tony Blair and Co turned up for work in Jeans heads would turn. If I
>turned up for work in a Company Tie and a Jacket heads would turn too.
>For most computer users ties are a pain as they only get stuck in the
>processor fan. But Dress Codes are part of life.
>	Every Programmer knows that Unix is king (Whether its Linux, BSD or
>Solaris) even Microsoft. Its just Going around with a beard, holey jumper
>and jeans does not sell it. Using hundreds of tech-ey words does not sell
>when all the user wants to do is write there letter to the tax man and
>play games.
>	Apple are making changes but OSX has already overtaken Linux in
>the popular stakes.
>
>Peter Childs

I do not wear jeans. I do wear t-shirts. Was this dress code to keep the MP happy?

*****

I have attended many conferences over the years, as I sure everybody here has. My SO went to the AGM of a (London) Primary Care Trust on the same day, and there was no dress code.

IBM are sponsoring GNU/Linux in a big way. I decided not to attend that day since wearing a suit would have been a real pain (I had other activities either side, in the morning and evening). I decided that since there seemed to be a "three line whip" from UKUUG and the organisers of the event,  I thought it best to stay away, rather than make a fuss or be the odd one out.

The UKUUG did not attend "officially" as far as I know.

Gordo.

P.S. If is says "dress code" it means "dress code" surely?

--
Linux User No. 256022///
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk