[Gllug] OT: coping with long hours at the computer

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 22:29:13 UTC 2003

Garry Heaton wrote:

> Do any of you suffer from posture problems which limit the amount of time
> you can spend in front of the computer? If not what is the secret of long
> life at the keyboard.
>
> At 43 I'm finding my back, neck and shoulders can't take it anymore. I've
> been to osteopaths and Alexander therapists but nothing seems to work.
> Computers seem to be just bad for my health.
>
> Any of you in your late 30s/40s managing to spend as much time as you like
> in front of the computer? Pray tell what's the secret? Yes, I get regular
> exercise but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Also at 43 and having spent a significant time in front of computers for
24 of them, I don't have any serious problems.

I think the most important thing is a decent chair. I use a proper
office chair with adjustable bits both at work and at home. With arms.
The arms are important I think, when I am not typing I can sit back with
my arms resting on the chair arms and just read the screen. A decent
screen is important here, so that I can read it while sitting back and
don't have to peer. At home I have a 19" Iiyama Vision Master Pro, at
work they don't stretch to such luxuries but I have a quality 17" IBM
one which isn't bad. I also use a wrist rest which I think is important
too, as strain on the wrists from having to reach up to the keyboard can
spread up the arms.

It's usually recommended that VDU operators take 10 minutes off each
hour. This is really to save eye strain but I think it helps with
posture too. Having the deplorable habit of smoking, I take 10 minutes
off fairly regularly at work. I do think it helps (the 10 minutes off
that is, not what I do with it:) Of course at home I don't have to, but
most of my time in front of a computer is at work.

Possibly I'm just lucky. I can also still ride a motorbike with a sports
riding position, which is another thing which gets difficult with aging
backs. Lots of people our age switch to Harleys and the like with big
high bars but I don't feel the need.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk