[Gllug] OT: coping with long hours at the computer

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 23:38:30 UTC 2003

Ian Northeast wrote:
> Garry Heaton wrote:
>
>>Do any of you suffer from posture problems which limit the amount of time
>>you can spend in front of the computer? If not what is the secret of long
>>life at the keyboard.
>>
>>At 43 I'm finding my back, neck and shoulders can't take it anymore. I've
>>been to osteopaths and Alexander therapists but nothing seems to work.
>>Computers seem to be just bad for my health.
>>
>>Any of you in your late 30s/40s managing to spend as much time as you like
>>in front of the computer? Pray tell what's the secret? Yes, I get regular
>>exercise but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
>

> Also at 43 and having spent a significant time in front of computers for
> 24 of them, I don't have any serious problems.
>
> I think the most important thing is a decent chair. I use a proper
> office chair with adjustable bits both at work and at home. With arms.
> The arms are important I think, when I am not typing I can sit back with
> my arms resting on the chair arms and just read the screen. A decent
> screen is important here, so that I can read it while sitting back and
> don't have to peer. At home I have a 19" Iiyama Vision Master Pro, at
> work they don't stretch to such luxuries but I have a quality 17" IBM
> one which isn't bad. I also use a wrist rest which I think is important
> too, as strain on the wrists from having to reach up to the keyboard can
> spread up the arms.
>
> It's usually recommended that VDU operators take 10 minutes off each
> hour. This is really to save eye strain but I think it helps with
> posture too. Having the deplorable habit of smoking, I take 10 minutes
> off fairly regularly at work. I do think it helps (the 10 minutes off
> that is, not what I do with it:) Of course at home I don't have to, but
> most of my time in front of a computer is at work.
>
> Possibly I'm just lucky. I can also still ride a motorbike with a sports
> riding position, which is another thing which gets difficult with aging
> backs. Lots of people our age switch to Harleys and the like with big
> high bars but I don't feel the need.
>
> Regards, Ian

The monitors are not a problem as I have 2 Mitsubishis - a 19" and a 21".
Don't know if LCD's are better for you but I don't have eye problems anyhow.
I take breaks every 30mins. or so as directed by my therapist. Maybe
Alexander is too passive though I've heard it can work wonders. I just need
something quicker and more pro-active.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk