[Gllug] Linux vector tools

Garry none at none.com
Sun Sep 21 19:31:18 UTC 2003

Tethys wrote:
> Garry Heaton writes:
>

>>If ONLY Linux had a graphics package which came with enough fonts and decent
>>vector tools. I'd order an immediate sacrifice of the offending beast.
>

> There are a number of options. None are perfect, but then I think the
> same's true under Windows, too. The top two that I've used are Corel
> Draw 9, and Sodipodi. Sodipodi has it's own font system (for now at
> least), to give it more control over rendering. But you can add extra
> fonts to its standard list if you want. Sketch is also pretty good,
> but can be a bit sluggish for large drawings. Plus, of course, the
> Windows verson of Corel draw 3 works pretty well under Wine now (and
> has a much nucer interface than the native Corel Draw 9). There's also
> a KDE vector graphics package (used to be called Killustrator, can't
> remember what it is now), but it was pretty poor last time I looked at
> it.
>
> Tet

'Fraid nothing comes close to the Adobe & Macromedia lineup where graphics
is concerned. The whole "web design" industry has grown-up around the Adobe
& Macromedia suites so I can't see this shifting until these 2 companies
produce Linux versions = never. If you're developing end-to-end running a
Linux/MAC/Windows LAN is an unfortunate necessity.

Drop the CSS/graphics out of the equation and you can let go of 2 OSes. Hmm,
tempting :-)

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk